Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Writing With Picture Books

I live with a 3 year old.  I'm reading multiple picture books everyday.  I am a teacher.  I can't help but think about how some of these little gems could be used in my classroom!  Most of these books I would not have picked up for a 4th grade classroom, but I can always find some really good application.

From time to time I want to share some of those ideas here.

Today I've chosen My Lucky Day by Keiko Kasza






 I really want to use lots more picture books in my classroom this year.  I read aloud daily to my students from chapter books, but there is something about picture books.

Anyway. . . My Lucky Day is a great example of how to add a twist to the plot that will surprise the reader.  I thought this would perhaps be too subtle for a 3 year old, but once we got to the meatballs and spaghetti he kept say, "That's so silly."  If he "got it," I'm pretty sure 9 and 10 year olds will, too!

I'm still trying to think of what writing prompt I will give them after this.  Any ideas?

How do you use picture books in your classroom with intermediate grades?

No comments:

Post a Comment